Sunday, February 1, 2009

Remember Lot's Wife

That verse of scripture in Luke 17:32 has created a paradigm shift for me. Elder Holland of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles recently gave an entire discourse on that one verse (and it was given on my birthday--just an added bonus). I encourage you to read it as well as read the context in which the scripture was given (Luke 17:20-37). My sister shared it with me earlier this week...and she could have never guessed the profound impact it is having in my life. This scripture speaks directly to the root cause of one (of my many) issue that has plagued me for years.

I had an incredible childhood. And an even better teenage experience. I loved everything about growing up. I had awesome friends...we laughed most of the time and occasionally discussed more serious matters. I loved school. I loved dating. I loved church activities. I loved the drama that only teenagers can deliver. It was an incredible time in my life. I've longed to go back...almost to the point of wanting to live in the past. And there's something eternally wrong with that mindset.

Not that there's anything wrong with reminiscing and thinking of yester-years (wow--now I really sound old). But my thoughts...and more importantly my heart has been stuck in the past. It has impacted my marriage and my whole outlook on life and eternity (and that's not the teenage drama coming out). And I haven't fully transitioned to adulthood as a result.

Thus the reason this scripture has become a paradigm shift for me. What was the sin Lot's wife committed? Do you remember the story?

Lot and his family lived in Sodom and Gomorrah. They were commanded to leave and not look back. Lot's wife turned back as they were traveling and she became a pillar of salt.

Elder Holland suggests that it wasn't just the fact that she disobeyed the Lord's commandment and turned around. More importantly, her heart turned back and she wasn't ready to leave their old life behind. Three days ago, had the end of my mortal life come and had I seen my Maker, my heart would have been very similar to Lot's wife. I know the promises and blessing of eternal life...but I may have said that a piece of my heart was still in the world. And I would have been subject to the same consequences as Lot's wife, figuratively speaking. Now...I'm still the same person I was earlier this week. But I'm making some changes.

My whole heart has not been living in the present. And that has impacted how I view the future. I'm married to an incredible woman. We have five amazing kids. My life now and my future with them should be everything to me.

Hopefully I'll leave my Sodom and Gomorrah and never look back.

4 comments:

Laurel said...

I think everyone should read & ponder this great msg.

You are wise beyond your years, Dave...and I have learned for myself that whenever I'm filling "stuck", it's just the Lord's way of saying, "there is something you need to change."

I'm there too.
thanks for sharing
love you.

tall dad said...

My goodness. Where you are and where I was in my early thirties is much different. Incredible self evaluation. Very powerful.

Elaine said...

I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. (3John 1:4) What a glorious learning experience this life is. I'm grateful you are my son. I love you!

Uzi said...

WOW! This brings back the time we sat on the patio and talked about the same thing. I think your heart is in the right place whether you realize it or not. Just like your "slumber party" episodes when you were younger, I think that if you went to search for that thing you think you want, you will find your heart quickly packing up in the middle of the night to head back to where you truly feel safe and happy! Sadly, it's those experiences that teach us we ARE where we need to be! :)

Miss you!