Monday, October 6, 2008

Unfiltered Conversations

Mormons can sometimes speak a different language. We regularly use words or acronyms such as ward, stake, sunbeams, mutual night, PEC, FHE, and Fast Sunday to name a few.

We have our own geography and historical sites such as: Liberty Jail, Zarahemla, the Garden of Eden, the Sacred Grove...most members of the Church can tell you exactly where these significant places are located...or at least the vicinity of their location.

Mormons have a unique perspective of our relationship with the inhabitants of this earth. The person I work with everyday has a loving Father in Heaven. My co-worker lived in a pre-mortal world with me...perhaps we knew each other thousands of years ago. My co-worker chose to follow Jesus Christ during the Grand Council in Heaven. My co-worker will be resurrected and will have an opportunity to be with his or her family for all eternity.

I know things my co-workers do not. But I know that they will one day come to understand the same things I have been taught all my life. And they will have an opportunity to choose once again.

What's my part?

One goal I have established for myself is to no longer filter my conversations. Many times in the past I have caught myself deleting portions of my life because it relates to the Gospel. For example, for many years I have generally given a generic response when someone has asked me about my weekend following General Conference.

My conversations have been unfiltered lately. One co-worker knows what General Conference is now...and that my brother-in-law was able to participate just like me even though he is in the Czech Republic. Several co-workers know I had family in town because my son was baptized. That led to a conversation about children being blessed when they are born.

I think the Lord has prepared my family for many unfiltered conversations:

Where did you go on your honeymoon? Nauvoo

What is your son's name? James Helaman

You don't drink coffee but you drink Mountain Dew? (I haven't figured out a good answer to that yet! Maybe the answer is I should stop drinking Mountain Dew.)

What's your college football team? BYU

Where did you learn to speak Spanish? Venezuela

The list goes on. My point? Speak to your neighbor as if they were a member of the Church. Don't filter your conversation. They'll learn our language eventually...why not give them a head start?

1 comment:

Laurel said...

I'm in!

But maybe I better move first?