Monday, August 15, 2011

We All Yearn For More

I believe there is a drive in all of us that yearns for more - we want to do more, see more, feel more, etc.  For me, that is yet another evidence of our eternal nature.  Our intelligence has always been...and it will always be.  What's even better, is that it's not only our intelligence now, but our spiritual and physical bodies that we get to keep for all eternity.  What an incredible gift!

During our Gospel Doctrine discussion yesterday, "the next greatest thing" was brought up.  You know, the next greatest smart phone or movie or car or invention or innovative idea in the workplace - "the next greatest thing."  We're all curious about it.  When you break it down, that's what consumes a lot of our conversations.  On Mars' Hill we read, "For all the Athenians and strangers which were there spent their time in nothing else, but either to tell, or to hear some new thing."  Acts 17:21

It's an insatiable hunger for humans of all ages to know more than we currently do.  And when our energy pushes or pulls us in the wrong direction, we humans fill in the blanks erroneously, as they did on Mars' Hill.  For example, if we want to feel more, we may become dramatically emotional (i.e.: watch any reality TV show episode) or we may become subject to physical or emotional addictions.  On the other hand, we could learn to feel more by growing closer to the Spirit. 

This yearning for more can lead us one direction or another.  And there's not always a clear demarcation between the "healthy" more and "self-destructive" more.

I recently changed my habits to be more physically and spiritually fit.  And I'm happy that I made those changes.  I'm reading the scriptures daily and praying often.  I more appropriately view food as fuel for my body and exercise regularly.  Spiritually, I feel more confident.  Physically, I've lost over 30 pounds.  But I still yearn for more.  There's something missing and I can't put my finger on it. 

I've resigned to the fact that my choice of employment will never really satisfy the hunger that is within.  In the eternities, what I do to bring home a paycheck and support my family will be inconsequential.  The fact that I am supporting my family, however, will be anything but inconsequential.  I'm surprised at how often I find myself thinking how insignificant and meaningless these business conversations are when one considers the eternal nature of our existence.  It almost makes me ashamed for not being engaged in more "worthy" conversations.       

So how do I scratch this current itch?  Do I read more (I read nothing but the scriptures currently)?  Do I find a more meaningful job?  Do I serve more?  Do I learn how to meditate more effectively?  I want to do more.  But what does that "more" look like?  Is it just more of the good things I'm doing and less of the bad?  Maybe the "more" I'm looking for is a refining process...  (This is me thinking out loud, so I'll excuse myself now.)  < grin >

1 comment:

Laurel said...

i love this SO much and would love to go to lunch to discuss. Can we arrange that?

We are releasing a book this fall that you are going to LOVE LOVE LOVE that will satisfy a bit of this itch, I think. It's top secret now, but if you call me, I bet I will tell you all about it.

xoxo